Why is it important to clean your hair brush?
Cleaning your hairbrush is a simple yet important step in maintaining the hygiene, health, and appearance of your hair.
Cleaning your hairbrush is important for several reasons:
- Hygiene: Your hairbrush can collect dead skin cells, oils, and hair product build-up, which can create a breeding ground for bacteria and other germs. Cleaning your brush regularly helps prevent the spread of these germs to your scalp and hair.
- Improved hair health: A dirty hairbrush can transfer product build-up and oils from your scalp to the rest of your hair, making it greasy and weighed down. Cleaning your brush can help remove these build-ups, leaving your hair looking and feeling healthier.
- Increased brush longevity: Dirt and hair product build-up can damage the bristles of your hairbrush, causing them to become frayed or misshapen over time. Cleaning your brush can help extend its lifespan and prevent the need for frequent replacements.
- Better styling results: A clean hairbrush will provide better styling results, as it won’t transfer any dirt, oils, or product build-up to your hair. Clean bristles will glide smoothly through your hair, resulting in better detangling and more effective styling.
How to clean hair brushes? And why should you clean it weekly?
A clean brush has a much higher chance of giving you the results you desire than one that is clogged with hair strands and product buildup. It’s crucial to maintain a healthy, clean hairbrush in addition to having healthy, clean hair. A hairbrush can be cleaned to extend its life and prevent you from spending money and time replacing it frequently. Let’s find out how to clean hair brushes.
A hairbrush typically has an accumulation of oils, dead cells, and hair products. When your hairbrush is dirty, it is tougher to keep clean, lustrous hair and a healthy scalp. The typical person loses 50–100 hairs daily.
There is no set schedule for cleaning your hairbrush. But the more frequently you might desire to clean it, the more hairstyle products you might need.
If there is a buildup of dirt on the brush cushion, it may also be time to clean your hairbrush.
To clean hair brushes hygienically:
- Remove hair tangles with a comb or scissors
- Fill a basin with warm water and mild soap
- Soak brushes for 10-15 minutes
- Use a brush cleaner or old toothbrush to scrub bristles
- Rinse brushes thoroughly with water
- Squeeze out excess water and lay brushes flat to air dry.
Maintaining a clean hairbrush will help you avoid the following issues:
- Your scalp will also suffer damage from using a dirty plastic brush, in addition to the quality of your hair. Your hairbrushes and their bristles will accumulate germs and bacteria over time.
- Your scalp absorbs this damaging residue, causing it to become dry and irritated. This is one of the factors that could cause dandruff and inflammation of the scalp. Because of this, cleaning your hairbrush is essential for both good hygiene and healthy hair growth
- Your hair brushes may accumulate dust, lint, and other environmental contaminants over time. You may have issues like skin irritability and foul odor as a result of these particles and bacterial accumulation on your hairbrushes. This is particularly true if you use oil or sticky hair products or masks.
- You experience itching, irritability, and a terrible stench coming from your hair and scalp as a result. One should routinely clean their hairbrushes to prevent this.
- Of course, everyone brushes their hair every day to keep it free of knots. However, a lot of people also routinely cut their hair with a trimmer. They do this to maintain the health of their hair and prevent problems like split ends.
But using dirty hair brushes will prevent your hair from growing normally and will harm the texture. You ought to consistently use clean brushes to prevent these issues.
How To Clean A Hairbrush?
Make your method selection based on the type of brush you have. Hairbrushes with wooden or rubber handles require a different cleaning procedure than those that just soak in water. To get rid of the buildup on your hairbrush, just follow these easy instructions.
Remove Hair On Hairbrush
If there is hair accumulation on your hairbrush, remove it. Simply removing the hair with your fingers or a comb will start the process. If the brush is heavily matted with hair, you might be able to just pull it up and off of the brush without first loosening it.
You should do this once a week, or whenever you see hair beginning to accumulate on your brush. The more frequently you clean, the less meticulous it will be the following time.
Cleaning Metal or Plastic Brushes using Shampoo and Baking Soda
- Take half a cup of vinegar and half a cup of warm water should be added to the shallow dish that contains the hairbrush. Before you scrub the brush, let it soak for 30 minutes and then drain it.
- Shampoo and baking soda can be combined to make a cleaning solution. 1 teaspoon of your preferred shampoo and 1 teaspoon of baking soda should be added to 1 cup of water in a bowl. Baking soda must be dissolved in the mixture by stirring or whisking. Baking soda will eliminate accumulated filth because it is mildly abrasive and absorbs smells.
The cleaning solution should be applied on a fresh washcloth. To get rid of any dirt on the brush’s surface, wipe it with a towel. After that, carefully scrub the brush’s base and the spaces in between its bristles with an old toothbrush dipped in the solution.
- Use water to rinse the hairbrush. If you cleaned a metal or plastic paddle or round hairbrush, rinse the brush under water to remove the cleaning agent.
- Place the hairbrush on a towel after wiping it with a cloth. To remove the water from the hairbrush’s surface, take a clean cloth and wipe it over the brush. Then, place the hairbrush on a towel with the bristles pointing down.
To dry the brush, avoid using a hot hair dryer. This might harm the brush’s bristles and base. Allow the hairbrush to finish drying. Use the brush to brush your hair only after it has dried completely. Read reviews by Wirecutter on how to clean hair brushes.
How frequently should you wash your brush?
How frequently a hairbrush should be cleaned is not governed by any strict guidelines. It actually depends on the kinds of hair products you use and how frequently.
Try to establish a routine of cleaning your brush every two to three weeks if you don’t use much product in your hair. Try to remove hair that has accumulated in the bristles every few days to make cleaning easier.
how to clean hair brushes (source: Clean My Space)
Hairbrushes and combs are simple to forget about. However, it’s a good idea to regularly give your hairbrush a thorough cleaning if you want to keep your hair looking its best, free of any unwelcome oils, dirt, or product residue.
You’ll get the most use out of hairbrushes if you maintain them, whether you’re cleaning your preferred wooden hairbrush, detangling brush, preferred hair straightening brush, or any other variety.
Make sure to physically remove hair buildup from all brush types at least once a week to help reduce product build-up and offer your toothbrush the best chance of detangling and smoothing hair. Read more on our How-to section here to get help on various topics.
Leave a Reply