Choosing the best travel backpack is as important as planning your trip with family, friends, or going solo but juggling between heavy suitcases that may turn your trip into a real struggle? Too big, you have to carry extra weight and too small, makes it impossible for you to stuff your things! Picking up the wrong backpack with cheap material can get your stuff soaked up in the rains. Osprey Backpack Farpoint 55 is our pick for the best travel backpack as it is strong, comfortable, and durable. Swiss Gear travel backpack is one of our cheap backpacks.
Best pick: Osprey Backpack Farpoint 55
- Make/Model: Osprey Farpoint 55
- Dimensions: 25 x 13 x 13 inches
- Capacity: 55L
Why it’s in our top pick?
Osprey Backpack (Farpoint 55) is literally, two bags in one, consisting of a large compartment and a removable day pack making it much more convenient and easy. It is the perfect gear when planning for long weekends because it is designed to handle load up to 25 kg. It is a 52 liter and is made of 210D nylon fabric with mini hex diamond ripstop. It is the lightest travel backpack that can be carried like a backpack but has a feature like a suitcase so feel free if you want to keep that extra jacket or boots. Consumer reports also reviewed this model.
May not be one of the cheap backpacks online, priced at around $130, but it has tons of storage capacity as it consists of two compartments- the main compartment is just like a suitcase so that one can easily zip it and pack any amount of thing or you can even go extra.
Coming to the front part of the backpack, it is a 15-liter day-pack that is removable and has enough space for all the gadgets or other items, like books or accessories. It also has a dedicated space for laptop or tablet. The day-pack part also has two meshes, stretchy water bottle holders which helps you to save space inside the bag. Both main compartments have lockable zippers too which ensure to keep your stuff safe with TSA-approved locks.
Those straps make the travel experience highly comfortable. The Osprey Backpack Farpoint 55 has padded shoulder harness straps, adjustable sternum strap (with a built-in safety whistle), and a padded hip belt that you don’t really notice even when you’re carrying the maximum weight.
This travel backpack has a peripheral frame suspension system that one would usually find only on the backpacks dedicated to trekking. It transfers weight from the shoulder harness straps to your hip belt saving you from that back pain.
One of the best features is the removable backpack which helps to lighten up the load. Once checked in at a hotel, one could unzip the day-pack from the rest of the bag, swap important things required for traveling and travel much lighter. The back and straps of the day-pack are lined with the same mesh and foam as the main pack, and there’s an adjustable sternum strap to keep it more comfortable. Also, the day-pack can also be clipped onto the harness of the main pack, in a ‘kangaroo’ style attachment.
- The Osprey backpack Farpoint 55 has a stowaway back panel, harness and hip belt with zippered rear flap for protection
- Durability in high-wear areas combines with smart design to create a lightweight and tough travel pack that will last for a lifetime.
- Detachable daypack provides additional storage and organization ideal for day trips or carry-on. It can be hitched to the main pack harness for secure front carry and easy access.
Things we didn’t like
- Lack of organization space in the main compartment. If you’re the type of person who likes to organize things by compartment while packing than that’s a drawback with this backpack. Use some packing cubes to arrange things and make space to make it more tidy and versatile.
- Zipper rings should be a little bit bigger to fit in the locks
- The frame makes the main pack too big for a carry-on
Overall, the Osprey backpack Farpoint 55 is a perfect choice when planning to travel for a short weekend getaway or a long trip because it’s comfortable, durable, and functional.
Second-best: Osprey Fairview 40
- Make/Model: Osprey Fairview 40
- Dimensions: 21 x 14 x 9 inches
- Capacity: 40L
Why we like it?
Osprey Fairview 40 is a two-in-one best travel backpack consists of two packs one is the large main pack and the other is the small daypack which can be zipped out from the main backpack to use it separately.
Priced at around $130, it is an ideal travel backpack that is lightweight and streamlined. The backpack smartly designed according to the female’s anatomy where the back system has a female-specific fit with an ergonomically shaped hip belt, harness and back panel. The shoulder yoke is also narrower adding to the overall comfort. The Osprey Fairview 40 has a lightweight peripheral frame and is constructed from 210D nylon mini hex diamond rip stop/600D pack cloth fabric. The diamond ripstop construction is clear to see on the side panels and front of the backpack, making it durable. The zips are also well designed, with chunky zip pullers for easy opening and closure of the bag.
As we all know the key attribute of any good quality backpack is the hip belt, so if the backpack’s hip belt isn’t strong and supportive enough to take the main weight of the bag’s load, it’s functionally useless, which isn’t the case with the Fairview’s 40 hip belt. It offers plenty of padding and flexibility while being fairly rigid and strong enough to support heavier loads.
- Durable fabrics in high-wear areas combine with smart design to create a lightweight and tough travel pack that will last a lifetime.
- Stowaway back panel, harness and hip belt with zippered rear flap for protection
- Detachable daypack provides additional storage and organization ideal for day-trips or carry-on.
- Large panel zip access to main compartment
- Lockable sliders on main compartment zipper
What we didn’t like
- Lack of organization space in the main compartment.
- Lacks specific pockets for laptops
- Shoulder straps were not that comfortable
Osprey Fairview 40 is the ideal backpack for the average female backpacker since it is extremely lightweight and highly comfortable.
Cheap backpacks: SwissGear Travel Gear 1900 TSA Backpack
- Dimensions: 18.5 x 13 x 9 inches
- Capacity: 31 L
Why we like it?
SwissGear travel backpack is a good quality and one of the best cheap backpacks specially designed made with durable, weather-resistant 1200D ballistic polyester to withstand harsh conditions. It features lay-flat TSA-approved tech compartment which helps to protect laptop and tablet inside designated mesh pockets. We noticed that the backpack is ergonomically designed, with padded straps and back panel and it won’t hurt, strain or damage your shoulder instead, the weight will be distributed evenly on the shoulders.
This cheap backpack is priced at around $62, it is an ideal best travel backpack for the travelers carrying a laptop in a backpack making it convenient and comfortable. We recommend this backpack to the ones who travels with their laptop daily, due to its robustness, sturdiness, and comfort. Also, the backpack is highly sophisticated, having enough room for other devices, and features air-flow design, thus allowing the things within to breath.
The backpack consists of a separate laptop and smartphone compartment. Both have their dedicated place, which helps with organization and safety. It also consist of the front pocket to store other kinds of stuff like book and before that pocket is the U shaped and zip-locked pouch to store things which is needed frequently.
On the sides of the backpack, breathable stretchable pouches are present which is appropriate for carrying water bottles, umbrella or something. The Swiss gear Scan smart laptop backpack is quite spacious and that it has a lot of pockets that will eventually come in handy.
- The Swiss gear backpack is made with durable, weather-resistant 1200D ballistic polyester to withstand heavy use and harsh conditions
- Easy access laptop and smart phone compartment separate from the main compartment. It has a front organizational pocket with U-zip pocket for quick access essentials.
- Scan Smart lay-flat technology protects up to a 17″ laptop, opens quickly at airport security, and ensures a hassle-free laptop-in-bag TSA scan
- Two, breathable, side compartments for an umbrella, oversize water bottle. Detachable daypack provides additional storage and organization ideal for day-trips or carry-on
- Contoured shoulder straps with mesh fabric and adjustable side compression straps. Padded back panel with Airflow ventilation technology for added support and comfort.
What we didn’t like?
Zippers can be annoying at times. Overall, Swissgear 1900 Scansmart TSA backpack is trendy among young consumers, especially those who travel a lot.
Second-best cheap backpack: Outlander Ultra Lightweight Travel Backpack
- Dimensions: 19x13x8.2
- Capacity: 35L
Why we like it?
It is stylish, high quality, and a fun best travel backpack. This lightweight backpack weighs 198g (7oz) consists of multiple organized compartments that make it perfect for a weekend trip or long getaway. This cheap backpack is priced at just $18, and is equipped with three full compartments to hold enough clothes and additional supplies for a day or two of travel. The front pocket consists of an internal organizer providing easy access to your wallet, phone, charger, keys or whatever you need on the go and still has ample space left for your other accessories like headphones or that novel you’re currently hooked on to.
It comprises of padded mesh back and shoulder straps with breathable system for better back support. It has mesh pockets on both sides to comfortably fit in the bottle or umbrella making it convenient to access.
- Features multiple compartments with several pockets for storage and organization. This backpack has a roomy main compartment, two front zipper pockets to hold small accessories, one internal zippered security pocket for valuable items and two side pockets.
- The backpack is made from highly rip and water-resistant nylon fabric, which provides strength and long-lasting performance, with minimal weight.
- Breathable mesh shoulder strap
- Consist of a carabiner clip to attach items to the backpack.
- Suitable for day-to-day use or occasional travel.
What we didn’t like?
- Straps are not durable and will not help with any weight
This Outlander ultra lightweight travel backpackis a great deal for those who like to organize their stuff for easy access. The adjustable straps allow for comfortable movement as it also distributes the weight evenly between both the shoulders. If you have an extremely tight budget and looking for a decent travel backpack, this is the one you should go for.
This lightweight backpack weighs 198g (7oz) consists of multiple organized compartments that make it perfect for a weekend trip or long getaway.
Also consider: American Stoic Weekender bag
- Dimensions: 22x12x7
- Capacity: 50L
Why we like it?
It is an ultra-light and durable rucksack bag with large capacity to meet the different requirements of both men and women. It has the broad, adjustable straps which divides the weight evenly on your shoulders and allow for a comfortable trekking experience.
Priced at around $99, this rucksack bag has a high quality of material and is really stable and equally lightweight which guarantees optimal comfort even when it remains on the shoulders for a longer duration.
It is a spacious bag to fit in all your essentials and extras with comfortable straps having breathable padding making it versatile and suitable as a multi-use pick. It is easy to fit with adjustable straps and comes with solid zipper closures for security.
- Convertible from Backpack to Duffel Bag
- It is the appropriate size for minimalist solo travelers packing all the essentials.
- It has intensely padded laptop sleeve spacious enough for a 19-inch laptop, while numerous other pockets and pouches are for charging cables, battery packs, and other gadget essentials.
What we didn’t like?
The structure of the bag is not very stable.
Overall, this weekender bag is stable and lightweight providing comfort even when it remains on the shoulders. Considering all the features, it stands out as an ideal pick for outdoor activities and typical leisure travel.
What size pack should you choose?
What size pack should you choose?
Well, no backpack size is perfect, the size that is appropriate for me, may not be appropriate for others. What matters is, the backpack should be proportional to your body. If the size of your backpack is too big or too small, the weight will not be balanced and can lead to back pain or may even make you overbalanced.
We all want a backpack that is big enough to hold a bit more stuff than the basics and not more than that. Manufacturers also have proposed torso and waist sizes for each model they produce but the best way to know if a backpack feels right is to simply try it on.
If the backpack fits in everything you want, has a bit of extra room, and feels comfortable, then you have found the perfect backpack size.
Planning to move around the world without any hustle or if you are moving around a lot when choosing the best backpack is an important thing. We all know that the best backpack is the ones that last the longest and stay in good condition no matter how long you have used it, going through the harsh condition and is durable, lightweight and weather resistant.
Also, backpacks put less strain on one’s body than other kinds of bags because it doesn’t put weight on one side of the body.
During the journey, a backpack acts like your companion and helps to keep you safe, secure and organized. Every traveler requires a pretty decent backpack for a comfortable journey.
As per your need or requirements and your budget, you can pick the one from the options listed above that suits you best.