If you’re a new mac user or have been using a mac for a while, you may find it tedious to take a screenshot or maybe you’re unaware of how to take screenshot on mac at all. You might want to take a screenshot of important documents or pictures but not knowing how to do so landed you up here.
How to take screenshot on mac
Here’s a simple guide to taking a screenshot on a Mac:
- Entire screen screenshot: To capture an image of the entire screen, press Command + Shift + 3. The screenshot will be saved to your desktop.
- Selected area screenshot: To capture a specific area of your screen, press Command + Shift + 4. The cursor will change to a crosshair, allowing you to select the area you want to capture. Simply drag the crosshair over the desired area and release the mouse button to take the screenshot.
- Window screenshot: To capture a specific window, press Command + Shift + 4 and then press the Spacebar. The cursor will change to a camera icon, allowing you to select the window you want to capture. Simply click on the desired window and the screenshot will be taken.
- Timed screenshot: To take a timed screenshot, use the Grab application that comes pre-installed on your Mac. Open the Grab application and go to File > New Timed Screen. This will give you a 10-second countdown, allowing you to set up the shot before the screenshot is taken.
Note: All screenshots taken on a Mac are saved as PNG files on your desktop by default. You can easily change the file format and location in the screenshot tool preferences.
To take a screenshot on a Mac, you can use keyboard shortcuts:
- Entire screen: Command + Shift + 3
- Selected area: Command + Shift + 4
- Specific window: Command + Shift + 4 + Spacebar
The screenshots will be saved as .png files on the desktop.
How to Take a Screenshot of a Window on your mac book
- Press Command-Shift-4 on your keyboard.
- When the target icon appears, press the space bar to transform it into a camera icon.
- To take a screenshot of an open window, menu, dock, or bar, drag the camera icon over it.
- Your screenshot will be saved as a .png file and will appear on your desktop.
How to take a Screenshot of an entire Mac display
- Press Command-Shift-3 on your keyboard to take a screenshot of your entire screen.
- Your entire screen, including any windows visible on the screen, and the toolbar at the top of the screen, will be saved as a screenshot on your desktop.